What It’s AboutAnthony Burgess’ A Clockwork Orange lures audiences into a glass-edged, testosterone-filled underworld of a dystopian future. In 1962, the explosive tale of little Alex and his band of Droogs was a ground-breaking insta-classic teeming with sexuality and “a bit of the old ultra-violence.” The story feels as haunting today as when the book was published in 1962 and when Stanley Kubrick’s Oscar-nominated film caused a stir in 1971. Not to be confused with that translation, this adaptation for the stage was done by Burgess himself in a process that began in 1987.
History and ContextFirst, we cannot make this clear enough, do not come expecting a stage version of the movie. It’s simply not. This play has enjoyed a global reach and enduring success since publication, including a production by the Royal Shakespeare Company in 1990 with music by Bono and the Edge, a Steppenwolf production starring Nick Offerman, and a 2018 Everyman production described by the Guardian as “a chilling, ultra violent cabaret.”
Our ProductionJobsite’s production uses a youthful ensemble of ten under the direction of Dan Granke. Donovan Whitney takes on Alex, supported William Alejandro Barbra, Jada Canty, Kiara Flowers, Amanda Heisey, Haley Janeda, Daniel Lennox, Jr., Brianna McVaugh, Omen Sade, and Jared Sellick who bring to life all of the other characters in Burgess’ tale. Jeremy Douglass provides a sound design, Katrina Stevenson costumes, Brian Smallheer the set and projections, and Jo Averill-Snell the lights. This is Jobsite’s first time back in the Shimberg Playhouse since March of 2020 – a full two years.
Jobsite provides a variety of cool banners that you can put on your website. AND they update automatically. So just drop it in once, and when we’re ready for our next show, we’ll update the graphic, and it’ll automatically update on your site too!
- Dan Granke – Director
- Brian Smallheer – Technical Director
- Jeron Dooling – Stage Manager
- William Alejandro Barba – Georgie, Brodsky, et. al.
- Jada Canty – Old Lady, Governor, Brannon, et. al.
- Kiara Flowers – Mother, et. al.
- Amanda Heisey – Matron, et. al.
- Haley Janeda – Rubenstein, et. al.
- Daniel Lennox, Jr. – Mr. Deltoid, Pedophil, Joe, et. al.
- Brianna McVaugh – Pete, Warder, Minister, et. al.
- Omen Sade – Dim, Comedian, et. al.
- Jared Sellick – Alexander, Chaplain, Father, et. al.
- Donovan Whitney – Alex
- Haley Agan – Technical Apprentice
- Connor Averill-Snell – Technical Apprentice
- Jo Averill-Snell – Lighting Designer
- Clementine Cox – Assistant Director
- Jeremy Douglass – Sound Designer
- Tea Roberts – Scenic Artist
- Brian Smallheer – Scenic Designer
- Katrina Stevenson – Costume Designer